6th-9th September 2013, at St Mark's Church, Broomhill, Sheffield, S10 2SE
Register online to book your place! More information about the event below...
For Vocal Training this year we will be gathering in Sheffield church - which was radically rebuilt after it was destroyed by bombing during World War II. We will dare to imagine a world at peace, and explore how we can begin to fulfill such visions in our own life-times. This event aims to be a relaxed residential gathering with a strong sense of community; like a cross between a spiritual retreat and a peace & justice activism skillshare! For a weekend we'll be living, eating, learning, praying and laughing togethero!
What will it involve?
- Diverse program of workshops and discussions covering grass-roots community-building, public speaking, video editing, social justice campaigning and arts & crafts.
- We will be going down to some Christian community allotments run by a Church for homeless and disadvantaged people. These people find real joy working on the allotments and receiving what is grown. This is looking to be a really beautiful and prayerful morning - we'll be helping them out, blessing the land and their work, praying for the people there and hearing the amazing journeys that they are going on
- A beautiful soup run for the homeless http://www.stmarkssheffield.co.uk/serving-community/soup-run/
- All meals provided, cooked at the venue using ingredients which are veggie/vegan, organic and/or fairtrade where applicable.
- A regular rhythm of prayer-times throughout the event, following the pattern of a home-spun radical new-monastic community.
- Some space in the program is kept unplanned so that delegates can spontaneously lead their own workshops, plot a revolution, have an awesome jamming session or just get to know people over many cups of tea!
- Bring your own musical instruments or other creative material and share your talent in the good-humoured, relaxed setting of our cabaret!
- There will be opportunities to get involved in the active life of the Church which is hosting us (St Mark's, Sheffield), including their soup run for the homeless and a contemplative "night service" on Sunday evening.
- This event is open to people of any or no religious background. There will be Christian prayer and worship during the event; we will do our best to make this accessible and open rather than wierd and full of jargon. Whatever your beliefs, you are welcome, and we're not saying that just because we have an agenda to convert you!
- After the event, delegates are also invited to travel with us to London, where we'll be taking creative non-violent action on 10th September. Even if you can't make it to London, you can try your hand at painting banners and designing eye-catching protest stunts at Vocal Training!
When? 6th-9th September 2013
Where? St Mark's Church, Broomhill, Sheffield, S10 2SE (see directions on the Church's website).
Full weekend ticket:
Before 31 July: Student / unwaged: £17
After 31 July: Student / unwaged: £27
Saturday or Sunday only day ticket:
Student / unwaged: £13
£5 off your ticket is someone who you invite registers their place!!
Also, if this price is too high for you we don't want that to be an obstacle. Do contact us on email@example.com and we'll find a price which suits you
Accommodation? Crashpad space upstairs in the church; you'll need to bring your own sleeping bag and roll-mat / air matress!
Book your place at this event here.
Or feel free to chat to us about it: firstname.lastname@example.org or 0208 9819441.