PETITION ON STUDENT DEBT
Dear Justine Greening- Secretary of State for Education,
I am very concerned about the huge and increasing level of student debt in the UK both for individual students and for the country as a whole.
I am especially concerned that the Higher Education and Research Bill 2016-17, currently progressing through Parliament which could facilitate a further raise on tuition fees caps. Saddling graduates with mountains of debt and increasing the costs to the Government does not create a healthy economy nor a functioning society.
I urge you to:
- Restore student maintenance grants, and other means for those without the financial means to gain just access to education.
- Stop the retrospective changing Student Loans contracts and retract changes that have already been implemented such as the freeze of the repayment threshold at £21,000.
- Please do whatever you can at this stage and in the future to block or repeal the HE and Research Bill and any further increases in tuition fees as a result.
- Ensure that the 1998-2012 Student Loan Book not be sold to private institutions.
- Repeal The Sale of Student Loans Act 2008